A Budget for an Unconventional Year
June 1, 2020
Dear Roslyn Families,
This is an unconventional year in so many ways, including the conduct of the annual budget vote and election. A few days ago, absentee ballots were mailed to all qualified voters of the school district, as per the Governor's executive order. To be counted in the vote, your ballot must be received by the district no later than 5:00pm on Tuesday, June 9, 2020. Be sure to sign where indicated.
In response to the current situation, the budget originally prepared by the administration has been reduced by nearly $1 million in mostly non-instructional expenses. In addition, the budget includes the purchase of materials, equipment and supplies that will be needed to operate a remote, face-to-face or hybrid school opening in the fall, as necessary. It also addresses potential revenue shortfalls in 2020-21. The budget:
- Proposes a spending increase of 1.89 percent
- Proposes a tax levy increase of 1.83 percent (well below the allowable increase of 3.58 percent)
- Maintains current instructional programs & district initiatives
Extensive voting and budget information can be found here our district website, including the online budget newsletter.
Special 2020-2021 Budget Highlights
- One-to-one computer devices for ALL students grades K-12
- Upgrading audio and video equipment for classrooms
- District-wide personal protective equipment, cleaning supplies, sanitizers, etc.
- Teacher assistants on the elementary buses in order to provide additional supervision
- Certified math specialists at the elementary level
- New course offerings including materials and supplies
- Protective social distancing furniture
- No-touch filtering water fountains
- Professional Development/curriculum writing via remote connection
- Google Classroom for standardizing instructional resources and organizing assignments
- Enhanced Zoom licenses for all staff in order to deliver online instruction more conveniently and securely
- New building security enhancements including video surveillance and additional card access
As always, I want to thank the entire Roslyn community for its continued support, not only during our annual budget process, but throughout the course of these last few difficult months. Please be sure to return your ballots before Tuesday, June 9 at 5:00pm.