English as a New Language is a state and federally mandated program which seeks to provide intensive English skills to non-English speaking students using ENL methodologies and techniques. The students in this program are held to the same high standards as their English speaking counterparts, thus, the teachers incorporate all of the language arts modalities of listening, speaking, reading and writing. These classes not only teach English Language Arts but also teach English through the content area.
- ELL: English Language Learner
- ENL: English as a Second Language (We immerse our students in the English language. We do not offer a Bilingual Program to our students)
- LEP: Limited English Proficiency
- ESOL: English to Speakers of Other Languages
- NYSITELL- placement exam for all new entrants
- NYSESLAT: New York State English as a Second Language Achievement Test
- L1: First or Home Language
- HLQ: Home Language Questionnaire
Language Proficiency Level
This student is a beginner. A student at the Entering level has great dependence on supports and structures to advance his or her academic language skills.
This student’s language skills are at the low intermediate level. A student at the Emerging level has some dependence on supports and structures to advance his or her academic language skills.
This student’s language skills are at the high intermediate level. A student at the Transitioning level shows some independence in advancing his or her academic language skills
This student’s language skills are advanced. A student at the Expanding level shows great independence in advancing his or her academic language skills.
This student’s language skills are proficient. A student at the Commanding level is now designated as a Former ELL, and entitled to receive two years of continued ELL services.